Jessore District Information
Jessore district was established in 1781. It consists of 4 municipalities, 36 wards, 8 upazilas, 92 unions, 1329 mouzas, 1434 villages and 120 mahallas.
Area: 2578.20 square kilometers
Bounded by: Jhenaidah and Magura districts on the north, Satkhira and Khulna districts on the south, Narail and Khulna districts on the east, West Bengal of India on the west
History: Jessore district belongs to the ancient Samatat Janapada. On the partition of India in 1947 Jessore was also partially divided. The entire district excepting Boangaon and Gaighata thanas was included into East Pakistan. The Bangali soldiers posted at Jessore cantonment revolted against the Pak army on 29 March 1971 led by Capt Hafiz Uddin and Lt Anwar in which about 300 soldiers were killed. The freedom fighters killed 50 Pak soldiers by machine gun at Chanchara.
Archeology: Remnants of the Chanchara Rajbari, Kali Mandir, Dargaha of Ghazi Kalu, Rajbari, Dighi and Mandir at Siddirpasha, remnants of the palace of king Mukut Roy (12th century), residence of Nawab Mir Jumla (17th century), Imam Bari built by Haji Muhammad Muhsin at Murli.
source - banglapedia